Monday, April 14, 2008

meaning less

As I continue to push my arguments and instincts to their breaking points here my limitations become more clear to me.  I don't find this troubling, rather the opposite, I relish the opportunity to patch up holes where they appear to be.

Now, to the question.
This seems to be a fairly arbitrary point in human development to fully celebrate communication...I'm not certain as of the beginning of this first sentence why the construction "question" is a more significant attempt at, or tool for, communication than making eye contact with another, or pointing at something, or a statement, or the e-mail.  Heh.

What does a question do?  It prompts, and arguably, demands a discrete response.  It points... well, why not just go to the dictionary and get as much out of it as possible?

"a sentence, in interrogative form, addressed to someone in order to get information in a reply."
That's basically the definition I was thinking of.  there are several - this one is also relevant, I think, so I'll include it.
"a problem for discussion or under discussion; a matter for investigation."

This has been a theme underlying everything I've covered, so with my examples, I'm going to stick with very simple survival and proliferation-based subject matter.  I'll start with what is the opposite of a question in this context, and another contender for most important innovation in communication, the statement.

"There is food over by the lake."

This conveys important or at least potentially important information to whoever may hear it and understand it.  However, there is also the possibility that it could be completely useless.  If it were an appropriate response to a question its value becomes less impeachable.

"Is there any food around here?"
"There is food over by the lake."

Another example:

"I would like to be your mate."

Higher stakes, not only potentially irrelevant but potentially offensive as well.  Combined with a question it becomes the consummation of a very significant interaction.

"Would you like to be my mate?"
"I would like to be your mate."

A question not only begs information, it lends meaning to whatever statement follows it.  It modifies and enhances.  More so than non-verbal communication it promotes continued interaction.  It seems also to allow more complicated exchanges of information.  As it developed it allowed the discussion of more abstract concepts, things that could not be referenced (by pointing or looking at) in the external environment.  Example.

"How do you feel today?"

Getting information about another's feelings colors communication and gives a frame of reference by which certain topics can be deemed appropriate or inappropriate.  I am only scratching the surface as usual.

Socrates, as I infer from his behavior, believed that the question was the gateway to all knowledge and that asking questions was a sign of wisdom.  When speaking to someone, it is best to assume nothing about what they think or what they believe.  A question is the original way to discern this information.  It provides access to the internal world, it is a gateway to the mind of another.  I emphasized in my post-post-conversation last time how important I think the community element is to the development and definition of science.  Questions and answers are a predicate to community - determining the needs of each and agreeing to work together to meet those needs.  

I have a major qualm with the original dictionary definition I've posted.  A question is not always addressed to someone.  Everyone knows the cliched action of screaming out "WHYYYY????!!!!".  Asking why, in general, is a dramatic and perhaps profound action.  A question is a means by which to speak without necessarily revealing anything about one's own beliefs.  It is also a means of getting at causes, which, as I also mentioned last time is crucial to science.  A question is the beginning of the scientific method as we know it- a hypothesis is a statement, a guess, but also implies a question to be asked and answered.

I think I've gotten to the heart of the question's value, though I haven't completely convinced myself of it's superiority.  This is a subject I will have to continue working on.  Moreover, the idea of seeking knowledge is beautiful, and the question is a fundamental expression of this desire.  I constantly wonder how communication will change and improve (?) but I am troubled by how impersonal communication is becoming.  Eye contact is so valuable, I almost detest not being able to look at someone when I am conversing with them.  

I love asking and being asked questions.  There are so many to be posed.

No comments: