First and foremost, hats draw attention, because a person wearing a hat is less common than a person without one in most contexts. Also, hats often have logos or words on them, and people are motivated to look at these things when they pass by.
At the same time, a hat is a way to hide. Even for people who look as good or better without a hat, it is covering a lot of your head, and with many kinds of hats it does something to obscure your eyes. A person wearing a hat is harder to casually engage through eye contact.
As I sort of hinted before, hats often make an explicit statement. For example, wearing a Boston Red Sox hat says something about a person's interests, background, and personality. A person wearing an Adidas hat or a Kangol hat is advertising a certain kind of fashion and even, perhaps, culture. A fedora implies a certain financial security (at least nowadays, I think). A cowboy hat, well...it certainly screams something.
Let's open this up a little. Being that "the clothes make the man" or some shit like that, does wearing as many items of clothing (or accessories) as possible reveal as much about your personality as possible in straight physical appearance? Here, too, excess would be gaudy without a doubt.
I believe, in general, that it is "old school" to wear a hat even though they are still popular today. Every man used to wear a hat while outside, practically. It was just a given part of an outfit.
I like to wear hats and it is to a large degree because my hair is failing me, the bastard.
I can never wear hats at work. It is making me used to not wearing hats, and I am starting to do it more often while not at work.
Hats can be really funny - examples: hat with straw and two beers on it. cheese hat. hats with ears that pull down that look like animals (the one I'm thinking of is a duck and the wings are the ear flaps). hat with a spinning thing on top of it. pope hat.
This is not one of my best posts. I'm a bit faded. Thanks for reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment