Friday, December 14, 2007

Not wasting any time.

Today I am going out to buy Christmas presents for the kids at my Cottage - the kids I advocate for and literally watch out for. I know these guys are really excited about their presents, as we all were when we were young, and we knew we were getting them. I am going to try to do well with presents this time. I really don't like the fact that at this time of year, society says "at this time of year, spend large amounts of time and money to give material things to the people you feel owe them to". Should the month before folks celebrate the birth of Christ have such a gigantic economic impact? meh.

The holidays at work is both a difficult and yet somehow positive time. We have 11 guys in the house - about half out of those are capable of and allowed to talk to both of their parents. And for a number of those, talking on the phone is or a couple hour visit is all it will be. A lot of them aren't allowed to see their younger siblings.

It hurts to see this. It hurts to see when parents say they'll show up for a visit and don't, when the kids can't get a hold of any of their family on the phone. When you see people living such sad and lonely lives it forces you to not see them in terms of what criminal and morally repulsive things they have done in the past. We are all human beings. We are all involved the same struggles. We all need the same things. Family should be critical to all of us. In my case, I find my family relationships to be so intense that I can barely support them. I feel so much love for my family that I can't communicate at all how I feel, nor how important they are to me. My inability to communicate love has caused me so much trouble.

I am certain that I am not special in that respect.

I meant to talk about my job but I got caught up in this. Well, I guess I did talk about it a bit, but I have more to say.

No comments: